Thursday, February 19, 2009

Best Day Ever!

I got to meet one of my favorite author's today at school, William Durbin. He is from Northern Minnesota and is a former teacher. He came and gave a talk to our 4-6 grade students. I was only able to see a little of it, but did get to meet him and get my books signed. His books are geared towards young adults, but he discusses a lot of historical events and regional histories.

I looked like a really big dork, but it was exciting to meet him. I don't think I came across as a stalker, just an interested reader...hopefully.

My favorite is The Journal of Otto Peltonen. It discusses the life of a Finnish boy that immigrates to Hibbing, Minnesota. It was interesting to read as my Mom's side of the family immigrated from Finland.

From a librarian's perspective, his books really appeal to boys that I typically have difficulty getting to read. They don't overwhelm them and are written in a way that really involves the reader.

For more information here is his web site: www.williamdurbin.com

1 comment:

The Rudstroms said...

I read "The Journal of Otto Peltonen" in high school and really enjoyed it. I gave it to my (Finnish) grandfather to read and he was moved by it as well. How cool you got to meet the author.

*There's nothing wrong with being a dork. =)
--AnnMarie